Thursday 14 April 2011

lies, damnable lies, and statistics

OK--I wish i had never found the stats column on my blog. It ruined me for awhile, as I started peeking to see what and how many and who instead of writing simply what was on my heart to write. Guilty.
Today in his infinite wisdom,(ouch i bit my tongue in cheek) David Cameron, as we learned to his chagrin earlier this week, an Oxford graduate,is going to speak to us about immigrants. Also he will pontificate on marriages to bypass customs, etc.etc.etc. in the usual Tory way (by that I mean he will try to gain favor by sticking it to Labour and Lib-dems).
Just so there is no confusion, I myself am an immigrant. It is not easy to get a visa and it is very prohibitive in cost.. The test to become a British citizen is beyond my abilities as I don't test well. I have always spoken English as my first language, so you will say, no we mean "those people", not you our American cousin.
Well although I am 100% American and proud, I come from a nation of immigrants, whereby some even believe the so-called Native Americans may be of Chinese heritage and walked through Russia and the Bering Strait. Without immigration, my nation would be very far behind indeed and perhaps still a wooded area. They brought the skills we needed and a willing work force. They learned the language  enough to hold a job and they stressed education to the next generation, who spoke better English than their parents and handled a lot of the conversations needed outside the home. One thing is sure, they were proud and blessed us with their rich families, 
cultures and foods, but their one goal was to make their children 100% american, and for them to blend into the American dream.
In America we are so large we have room for some pretty odd characters, and we have more than our occasional squabble-but our forefathers wanted a land where everyone could be free of whatever they were trying to leave behind in the old world. It is part of the reason so many religions and cults thrive in America--if they obey the law we left them alone.
Since 911 we have let fear overtake reason at times, but we are gently swinging back to our roots of gratitude and welcome to all .
If you come to America by plane, you must sign a paper saying you are not coming for purposes of moral turpitude or to overthrow the government. But even if you wrote" yes" they wouldn't find you till a week after you went home. We can't frankly afford the kind of border patrol needed. I think Mexico is a bigger problem than Canada, but illegal is illegal and we must deal with this once and for all, both here and at home.
Glasgow is a major metropolitan city--nearly every country of the world has someone there--it leads to great busking, better food and music, and sharing of old and new traditions in our homes. 
One fellow said on TV that immigrants aren't taking our jobs, just the ones of those who make more on benefits than they would in a real job. Generational welfare exists in America too, and feeds our entitlement culture. Work, any honest labor is good for your self esteem and your wallet. I know I jumped all over on this blog, but I am passionate and sensitive on this topic. I needed to check some of my attitudes when I came to Britain, and maybe we all need to take another look at the people of immigration, and see them as  individual cases. Not numbers to be quotas, not looking to exclude, but looking for the job skills we need here just now. Looking for those whose lives and families will strengthen the British Ideal. Anyway, thats one housewife's opinion. God bless.





No comments:

Post a Comment