Tuesday 19 April 2011

Fitness

Ok--
if you belong to the Paisley Rugby Football Club you will be astounded that I am going near this topic.Well, so am I. I want to suggest to you today that there are many forms fitness can take. When  they first diagnosed my kidney failure and took me off the diabetic medication I have used for twenty some years  I tried to get mentally fit.Any real athlete will tell you the match begins between your ears. You can literally lose the race in your own mind.
I learned to walk again, yes i used a zimmer and then graduated to two  sticks, but i learned. Physio types taught me to sit up and roll over in bed. It almost sounds like i had a stroke doesn't it?
The other women in my room were of a certain age and just wanted to sit in their chair. Not me, when they refused treatment i would beg for their session as well. I knew walking would be one of my criteria for ever going home. You may think i am a nice person, but learning to go up the stair(yes THE stair), i swore like a trooper mostly at myself and the poor physio trying to help me. I do not know if you ever experienced this, but for a time i could not lift my feet from the floor. To this day Jim has to put my shoes on or i am trapped at home.SO many people were a part of my recovery so far.
I could not read well as my eyes were playing tricks, so Jim brought me in talking books and Wilma loaned me a million movies. Many brought flowers and others just sat and visited me a while, and to them i thank them for their patience.
Jackie J, the worlds greatest nurse, didn't work at my particular hospitals, but she stood tall (and damnably firm) whenever i wanted to cut and run. The one thing I will never forget was the look on Marks face when i could actually walk up to him when he visited me. A magic moment.He is a teenager and therefor knows everything, but he is a loyal and good friend and when we bicker i think it is because we are twin sons of other mothers.
If Mark loves you, all is well. He is a good judge of character because he doesn't judge.By God he questions, but he doesn't judge.
My I do wander. Anyhoo for obvious reasons the old man has sat on me about a year now, cause i overdo around the house and then cripple myself. It is so hard though, all my friends play rugby and cross train with kettle-balls and running and martial arts. My discipline is to sit down between every task i try to do.
Rowena runs and is doing a "race for life" with her daughter., plus most of the people work full time , keep a house and raise kids. I walked the sports mile last year and it took almost an hour to do the four minute mile.
Are any of you out there reading this trained in Physical Education? I need a slow ease back into basic fitness. I will never play rugby, but I will not spend the allotted time left sitting on my chair. I will consider anything-i even tried walking in the swimming pool, it would be less stressful I assumed. Sadly that is boring for whomever is my buddy for the day as I cant jump and dive and splash like when I was a tadpole. Awwww the Yerdon pool of my youth, what a blessing.
Anyhoo please feel free to comment if you have any suggestions. It must be low impact as I am less than a beginner now. Maybe a kindergarten fitness for  adults. Well at least that made me smile.
Go mighty men of Paisley.You constantly inspire me to keep trying to achieve your excellence. Throw a kettle ball for me.If Sophie can do it, I will learn how one day.
God bless.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of taking up Pilate's as I have a bad back and loose the power in my right leg from time to time. I've heard that it's the best thing for anyone needing to exercise but unable to do various types of exercise for whatever reason and a friend of mine told me that the best thing about Pilate's is that it works so well for everyone and especially for those who are at various stages of physical rehabilitation. My Physio also recommended it to me so now I'm trying to find a local class as I would need help with it.

    ReplyDelete