Thursday 7 July 2011

School is out

I have a friend Zane who is on a rant i can't follow about teachers having 6 weeks off or something. I cannot speak for the education system here, but in America there was a very practical reason for no school in summer.
We were an agrarian society once, and all hands were needed at home to get the crop in before the bad weather set in. Daughters also helped in preserving the fruit and vegetables, and the men butchered in preparation for winter. It was not that the teachers needed a holiday, it was for the family members who would get left behind if classes continued whilst these students were not able to attend.
Is this necessary to have these breaks anymore? I don't know. I have heard a reasonable suggestion that the school year be broken up into a few longer holidays instead of one long endless summer break. Perhaps that would make child care more difficult, I just don't know.I am just so tired of teachers taking the fall for all our anger about kids.If you have a school board speak to them.
Teachers have a contract just like at your job. Don't blame them if you don't like the terms, go readjust the terms for the next one employed. This whole issue doesn't seem worth the rant to me Zane. "Maybe if I had kids" is the old chestnut usually thrown at me.
By the way since you already like me, guess what my degree is in?
Gotcha!
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment