Sunday 10 July 2011

Camden Field Days

One of the reasons i love Face Book is the news from home. Not just the people, although I loved the pics from Ellen Sues family reunion, but the events that come and go through the generations. I do not have a clue when the first Field Days were, but i remember them from my entire life, and depending on my age i have such different memories. Since the pumpkin farm closed i never asked about fiedl days cause i didn't want to know if they were gone as well.
Well, hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!My cousins both posted something about them last night, and the memories are flooding me. As my age changed, my love of that weekend changed. Now i could boldly go right into the beer tent, but when i lived at home, it was a place I went to check in with my Dad every couple hours, and depending how the crowd was behaving after a while Billy and i had to go home. As a child, it seemed like I imagined Disney must be--bright lights, huge scary rides, and huge stuffed animals i knew were going home with me. The dream never died despite the evidence that i only could throw like a girl.
If you are from a large place or live near a theme park, you can't imagine the thrill of field days. They always started to build the rides whilst we were still in school, and we had to ride the bus past the wonderland in making. Finally the time came and you wanna bet we gave our parents no reason to ground us that weekend. I think I would have washed the outside of the house if my folks had asked. For those of you deprived people a field days was a weekend of fun staged every year to help the fire department budget. We all attended willingly, believe me. Ok i am interested to hear some of your memories of the field days in Camden. Good luck fire department. Hope this is your best year ever.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment