Saturday 24 September 2011

William Yerdon--RIP

Thursday night my Mom called quite late and i was sure it was bad news. My first thoughts were of my Grandma Delarm, who is 101. Teflon Gram is still fine though, and it was news from my old house on Preston Hill.
Where Durr Ave bumped into Preston Hill it was a dead end. That was before Mr Sweeney built his insurance and home up there. Bill bought the old Littler place, and moved in with Marietta, his wife, and kids Danny  and Linda. Also they had a lovely dog named Bootsie. I am unable yet to touch many of my memories because I do not want to break down, and frankly I cannot believe he is dead. Way back when i was leaving high school, he heard he had severe arthritis. If you never saw a bad case, itis horrible to watch it take its insidious grip on a man. The man who had worked so hard for his family (and every one he knew) could do nothing to stop what his body was doing to him.
When i was a young girl he put in a swimming pool, and that made my life so much better. Marietta would get home early from work, and then we could go in. They would tease one another a bit, but they were the parents of the neighborhood, and all the kids wanted to be at there house. Bill called me some really terrible names (mostly comparing me to a sack of poop), but many an afternoon they  would listen to my tales of woe. They walked me through my high school crushes, and only laughed after Ihad gone home. Bill, for all his human faults, really listened to me. He knew when to kick my butt, and when to pat my head. After each report card, (when Dad said nice no matter how I did), I would go show Bill. He would always check the lowest grade, and say what happened? but he was teasing and i loved him to bits.
When Mom called to say he had left us, I cried out NO, but it was selfish. I always planned to go back and tell him how much he had helped me in the years i was so alone, but i never did.
Bill suffered a long time with his arthritis, and i pray now his family can comfort themselves with knowing where Bill went, there is no pain anymore.
And heis surrounded in love.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment