Saturday 24 September 2011

Hallowe'en with Uncle Bug

My Uncle Bug was a great guy, and as I was older than his kids, I had him in my life to an age where i have some great memories. He absolutely loved his family, and he left way before he wanted to. He was one of the most alive people i can remember from our old house on Liberty Street. That house figures into one speacial halloween memory i have, and I promised Tammy i would tell it. The old  house my parents owned before Preston Hill House was kinda odd. It had a main door, and then coming off the side of the porch a long walk to the kitchen front door. The kitchen had a back door down to Mad River as well, but the snakes will be another story.
Directly across the street was my Grandparents house and next door lived my Aunt Sheila and Uncle Bug. One day there was a knock at the kitchen door and I ran to answer it. Now the door had a couple windows, and in the top one was a jacko'lantern lit up and carved from a huge pumpkin. from the next window i could see no legs or body so i knew it was floating in mid air. I screamed and Mom came to see what the fuss was. She looked out the window and said, "oh Bug you scared her. Get in here." 
Another memory is when Grandpa's big white dog was scaring me, so Uncle Bug always had a solution, and here it was. "Brenda, you need to shave the dog to show it who is boss".He offered to show me how, but luckily for the dog, and me, Mom called me in to the house just at the right time. I miss Uncle Bug, and if he had stayed around I think my life would have been so much more fun. My Dad was not fun, and Uncle Don had a mean mouth on him, but Uncle Jerry and Uncle Bug and Uncle David hold a special place in my life. My Aunt Sharon was the kindest person, and I still do not know what she saw in him. Maybe it is hero worship in Uncle Bugs case i was so little when he died, but Uncle Jerry, wild as he is, is still my best Reed uncle.
I worried when he lost Aunt Barb we would lose him, but he is coping (that's what Reed's do). So Tammy you have a great legacy in your family and I am so happy you and your sisters are doing so well. I know it was hard growing up, but you are three beautiful girls and I think your Daddy is looking down from Heaven and very happy. He would have loved being a grandpa i think, and you would have had fresh carved pumpkins every year.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment