Friday 6 May 2011

Forest Park

Ok--
In Camden, NY, our forefathers and foremothers put aside a bit of land for a park that we almost all have enjoyed at least once. In my case initially it was for family reunions for the Reeds, but as a young adult I would drive there when I needed some privacy. It was cool and green and shady as the song goes...and you could really think there.
Then for a time my Dad handled cleanup and reservations for the pavilions. There were trails and a foot bridge you could fish off of. Only one time did my Dad take me fishing in Forest Park. He had gotten up early and got a bunch of night crawlers(fishing worms to you city folk). He had tied them in a knot of themselves. I refused to bait my own hook, so he placed the worms in my big safe hands. Or so he thought, as when I looked down and saw all those heads I simply dropped the ball into Mad River. Some fish got a heckuva meal that night, and i got my Dad's contemptuous look.
I am just not wired to be a boy, sorry. The Brazies', Reeds' and Conleys' were the cousins I most looked forward to seeing at these reunions. There was nearly a bajillion of us when everyone came. We went home tired, dirty, and happy. My favorite pavilion was the Lady Slipper, but I can remember sleeping out in Harden Woods with my girl scout troop. I hope I never lose these memories, and I hope the Park is always there for the children of all ages of Camden.
It is where three rivers meet--and I long to visit once more.
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment