Tuesday 24 May 2011

European Eagle Owl

Ok--
At the Houston-Killallen fair Jim got to hold an eagle owl. I know, I know, big deal.Well, I didn't know how big a deal it was at the time. Subsequently, I have come to understand that Jim is only alive because the owl couldn't be bothered to kill him. This owl could take a deer, and his talons have enough pressure to crush the deers skull. The beak is formidable, and the eyes are very huge. It is obviously a carnivore, and designed to be a killing machine.
Owls are folk of legend and many attribute owls with wisdom and cunning. I personally know of two people who collect anything owl, but certainly not live ones.
Another lovely characteristic is the golden highlights in his feathers. The only more exotic feathers are on a turkey, but the turkey face is hideous. This owl is altogether as lovely as it is fierce. If you get a chance to hold an owl or a falcon take it.Not in the wild of course, I mean at the falconers.

No comments:

Post a Comment