Friday 13 May 2011

The fair at Carrick Centre-Houston

Ok--
some joke, eh? once i am well enough to sit at a keyboard, the blogging system is down for repairs. Two days i couldn't speak to my dumplinks. Did you join another blog? did you stand out in the rain raising a fist to God screaming "why?" did you ever even notice?
I wish i were as famous as i am in my own mind. I actually fretted with all these words and nowhere to go. Thanks for checking back again. I am not unwell, the blog would not let me in.
Tomorrow (Saturday) is the Houston-Killallen fair. I go every year, as I am the self-proclaimed Queen of the Bouncy Castle. I spend a portion of a Saturday afternoon watching children defy gravity. I watch them hand me tickets and then go blissfully to wherever their imaginations can support their dreams. This is not their mamas house so there a few rules. You must remove your shoes and you must watch out for the little ones who may land on you as they are not that steady to begin with on concrete.
They smile and they play nice and yes, sadly, one child manages to try to land on his head in his "dismount", so every year someone gives me a heart attack with his bravado.
This fayre is so much fun. You see people who haven't been out since the last fayre, and you know you won't see them again till next years fete, but the soccer league could learn from this day. People from every church in the Gryffe valley seem to easily mix with those who never attend anywhere. There is a tea with lovely cakes, a bbq for the men and ice cream for children of all ages.
My personal favorite is the plant stand, where clippings and plants are sold for a pittance. I also get a supply of rhubarb as Jim  loves this vegetable.
For the penny pinchers there is a jumble sale. My old man got a digital camera for four pounds(oops I almost said dollars). Being frugal AND  nosy i give myself time for that room too. Jack at some point stops by and you can tell he is juggling 100 balls at once in his head. Is this my church? No, but these are my people. Some of the kids recognize me now even though they haven't a scooby what my name is. The teens mourn longingly for the days when they could get in to the castle. They want to be adults, but they still want to do the things they really like. It is one of lifes first cruel lessons. The whole world caters to midgets. You can be too old before your teens. Life is not fair. About 5 pm the annual tragedy returns. A man  
starts deflating our fun house. It dies a slow death, and I go back to my humdrum life.
Until next May rolls around.
God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment