Thursday 30 August 2012

A study in Herbs

Jim took me a few Sundays ago to our castle. Yes we own it, because we joined the National Trust for Scotland. So from time to time we go check out our investment, and it would be fair to say we are best pleased with their efforts. They are particularly kind to the disabled, up to and including lovely scooters to zip along the trails.

Anyway, at the castle, on the grounds they have a wonderful gem you might miss because the hours require volunteers for it to be open. It is a lovely second-hand book store. It is bright and airy and chock full of books. They also happily accept donations of books. The one I fell in love with, whilst shamelessly reading it in the store on a big overstuffed sofa is called,"The Quick After-Work PASTA Cookbook",by Judy Ridgway. I recommend it to anyone, who like myself, cannot keep all those pastas sorted by name. It is a hard-cover gem I got for only £2. I never looked back. I pore over the pages and dream of some very happy meals when Jim gets home from his long drive.


The chapters are named by pasta types, for example; "long round pasta", "or tubular flat pasta", or "pasta shapes". Each chapter briefly describes how to cook the pasta, and gives a few quick sauces to accompany each shape. Many are either quick or simple or both, and have many ingredients already in my pantry. I am reading it like a romance novel, much to Jim's amusement. ON page 50 is the first one i want to try because it combines two of my favorite things, mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Hence the name,"Sauteed Mushrooms with Balsamic Vinegar", it is recommended for long flat pasta so i am thinking fettuccine to use as a base. It uses the garlic,onion, olive oil trio common to most Italian base sauces, and it sounds like heaven to me.

Tonight we are having Conchigle (sp) which is the little shells, with a chicken sauce combo i didn't create but surely improved with some hints from the book. Hope JIm comes home hungry. I figure pasta is a good base for rugby training. 

Ok all this food talk has made me hungry, s i mixed some tuna mayo earlier (tuna salad to you Americanos) if I called food egg salad and tuna salad here they would think the "salad" meant it had lettuce and tomatoes on it, and I recorded a Cake Boss episode to feel a big more like a baker, which is my next trick. I am craving carrot cake. G0tta make my own apparently. Even bought a mix for my birthday last APril which still sits in the cupboard mocking me. Some day...I even got the coconut and raisins ready. Wish me luck!

I could be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment