Thursday 23 August 2012

Methadone Mania

We got a report on the news this week that methadone is not the great Heroin solution after all.It seems to simply replace the heroin addiction with a methadone one. We need to take another look at addiction then, and see if there is any reliable solution. My son started a fb entry that opened a fire storm. What makes me saddest is to learn (in a country where these guns are truly illegal) the straight faced Father of 2 says put them on an island, take some high-powered rifles, well you know the rest.

He never grew up around the guns that a part of daily life in America. I bet he has never even seen a body whose tender flesh was torn asunder by bullet holes. NO matter what the problem, guns are not the answer. Guns should not be the question either. It looks good and macho to say it, but having looked down the business end of a rifle, I promise you it is not like in the movies. I was so afraid i shat on myself. Literally. Addiction is all the horrible things we think it is, and yes we are as victimized as the addicts own family members who they con and steal from. They promise the moon and the stars, and in time you realize the heroin, alcohol, or whatever owns them.

My uncle got to a point in his life before he drank himself to death, that he needed alcohol to get alcohol. He started his day not hungry for food, but needing the poison that was killing him. My mother tried to tell me he had a disease, but that was a lie. The disease had him, and slowly, slowly, sip by sip, my Uncle disappeared.

There are a lot of reasons he ended up where he did, and I understand them. At no time would a shotgun on some addiction island have ended his pain or our pain. The story behind these addicts is this. Almost always someone still loves them. You may have t write them off and move on, but you remember who they were. You wait every time they try rehabilitation. You are happy when they get hurt and land in hospital because they can dry out. All he ever became was a dry drunk. And in time died a terribly humiliating death.

So add up all those factors and tell me you still want a gun. Life is long, and I hope your kids are fine, but you know what? All these junkies are someones kid. They were not created in a lab somewhere, nor do they deserve to be taken to an island and shot.

Sorry, they hit a nerve I guess. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment