Wednesday 8 August 2012

Polish Deli

We were driving around on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Glasgow this week, looking for some signs of the construction begun for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. We must have passed about a hundred shops then one just reached out and called me. In my life in Camden, I had friends with rich,varied heritages. Marguerite was Italian-American, and Roberta was Polish-American. Let me tell you, Polish people know how to eat. I like Italian food don't get me wrong, but Kielbasa is a slice of heaven to me.
There were real dill pickles and many types of pretzels. I thought i found chocolate covered pretzels, but it turned out they were only cookies in a pretzel shape, so my heart broke. We even bought cookies called Al Capone. Imagine. A custardy creme type cookie with three layers. Needless to say, they are gone.
My new discovery was Lipton iced tea in a soda type bottle but it was green tea and it was spectacular. I am going back where I will get the shop name and address, but i already promised Jean when she visits we will go.
Jean had a wood stove and when her girls were little she was married to my cousin Bill. They had one wood stove recipe i loved (and would eat it over and over).and Jean made a kielbasa stew type thing with sauerkraut, cheese and beer, and cabbage as I recall. I miss those days, we have all moved since then. I do not miss Fred, but i miss everything else about those days.
Blessings. Love you Jeanie Beanie.


No comments:

Post a Comment