Saturday 1 September 2012

A Study in Burnt Butter Sauce

Today, on a whim , bored at the local Morrison fare I decided to try "something new". I bought a package of pre-made pumpkin raviolis. All i will need to do is boil them in water, and dinner will be done. Well. Now for an appropriate sauce, as tomato and basil do not scream out pumpkin to me. My delicate ravioli will disappear in that tomato trap.
So i went on Google Chrome and asked for sauce recipes. When Jim gets home, our house smells of olive oil, butter, sage spinach and mushrooms. Each light taste will compliment the pasta and blend well together. 
Then I made a salad of spinach, chard, spring onions and when slicing the spring onion (scallions to the across the ponders) I did not have the heart to throw the dark green bits away so they are also sauteing in the sauce.Yummy.
Frying sage is a unique smell, and now I understand why my native american friends burn sage. It changes the whole atmosphere of my kitchen. And while I am on the subject, one thing most UK kitchens seem to lack is a kitchen table. It was so important in my house growing up. We ate as a family at it, we did homework at it, we had "those talks" when sitting there. When your Mom works out her time is so limited, so at the very least we could sit and watch her make dinner, or whatever she was doing. My earlier chores were to set it, then i got to do the dishes off it, and eventually I got to prepare some of the food that went on it. On holidays i would clean and stuff celery with creme cheese, or butter bread, or place extra chairs around it. I remember it was round and many of my happiest home memories come from that very table.
Now at my own house we eat on our laps, and I use a tv tray because I am clumsy, but i long for a family around a table. It just seems cozy and a good discussion opener. Aww the good old days. I long for my family, all gazillion of my cousins, and their parents and kids. I wonder if we would all fit in one house together. I wonder if we will ever try.
If there is no ocean between you and your family I hope you gather together and give your kids memories. Mine do not have the wealth of cousins I had, nor do they have strong ties to Aunts and Uncles. Although I did not appreciate it at the time, both my parents come from large families and I had plenty of friends to play with at family reunions. Uncle David, Michele, Barbie, Bill Brazie and the Conley sisters Suzanne and Christine were my favoritest, (yes i did make up that word)but I have cousins I have never even met, and they had kids, and they had kids...
And from another Mother, Ellen, the girl my Mom always wished i had been and Marguerite were grafted in because I had no sisters of my own. I had a rich life full of friends. I hope they all know how much i loved them then, and cherish them now.
They are my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment