Sunday 26 June 2011

Sins of America Part 2

OK, just he title of my blog would tick my Father right off. As if a country needed religion to be moral and do the right thing. My Dad was a super-Patriot before the 80's when it got popular in political campaigns. My Dad hated politicians, and he saw and /or felt that the only job a politician had was to get re-elected. He felt Washington should fire everyone in both sides of the government and start over.
But by God he loved America, warts and all. He was terrified of the civil rights movement, because all he saw of it was rioting in big cities. He didn't understand MLK,Jr. and when he was assassinated, my Dad looked at me, as if to say , see? You don't understand how much he was a part of the small town he grew up in. He worried about the four acres he owned, and if all was well there, he was content. I am glad I never got to see his reaction to 9/11, I fear he may have either gone mental, or had a heart attack. I just don't know. Perhaps he would have grown even more insular, and stayed in his garden with his veg 24/7. When properly read, the Constitution is probably the greatest document ever written(except the Bible, of course). All i know is I would give a lot to have one more conversation about the land he loved. This weekend passing of the gay marriage rights bill he maybe would have taken in stride. I just don't know for sure.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment