Tuesday 14 June 2011

I am bored

I have to be careful, because traditionally it is when i am bored i get into trouble. I could regale with tales of my misspent youth but i would have to relive them. My brother and i were latchkey kids, but even when thy were around my folks had bigger priorities than entertaining us. Although many people included us in their fun, i cannot recall one family holiday that includes all four of us unless you count Panther Lake.
Mr and Mrs Charles Gerber had a camp at the lake. It was huge and had many beds in the loft upstairs. There was a store across the lake, and Betty-Lou was the coolest Mom ever. I had my first cigarette and Panther Lake was the place, I kissed my first boy at Panther Lake, and I rode Buffalo's party barge and Chucks speed boat more times than i can recall.
Today's incident, however involves Dawn Gerber and myself.  My folks were being themselves again and Dawn took pity on me. We were gonna take the canoe to the other side of the lake. There is at least one lie in that sentence, but that's what we told my folks(not that they were paying any attention). 
So down to the dock we go. Dawn gets in the boat. I hesitate. I needed to lift my foot off the dock to get in the canoe. I still was unsure. Finally, Dawn had used up all her patience and the yellow camp was beckoning.
To those of you not from Oneida County, the yellow camp was the official source of all evil on the lake. I didn't know what free love was, but if it made my Mom that mad, it was worth a look. Finally Dawn had used all her patience and persuasion and told me just to jump. SO I DID.
Big mistake
The butt half of me landed in the boat, while the head side went under water. I could neither lift my head out of the water, nor could i fall back in. I nearly drowned, and finally Dawn figured out my predicament and shoved me arse over tea kettle into the drink. Needless to say, that was the end of sneaking off to yellow camp cause i was soaked, and the only other clothes i had was a bathing suit my MOM picked out. Yuck. One cannot begin their life of sin in a suit your mother approves of, now can you? I finally had my baby fat gone and I was ready to roll, but I never got the opportunity to find out the real truth about the yellow camp.In a way it is wonderful , though, cause the camp can be whatever i have heard or imagined. In real life it might have disappointed me or led me to shame and degradation.
I sometimes thank God for unanswered prayers, but this time the "no" was for my own good.
Blessings.







No comments:

Post a Comment