Thursday 10 May 2012

I miss family reunions

yup
Those terrible things everyone claims to dread so much. I miss them like crazy. I miss my thirty-eleven cousins, Reeds. Brazies, Conleys, Slocum's, and the in-laws and Out-laws. I miss reserving forest park and the camp fire that was never ready to cook down so we learnt to like charcoal hotdogs and crispy burgers. This was of course before the dawn of propane gas grills with shelves.

I miss the Lady Slipper, I miss the fishing bridge, I miss the tales of how my uncles had to get out after the park was locked, back in the day...and I miss Aunt Betty. I do not and never will miss the mosquitos.

I miss long walks and good talks, and the uncle Jake who tormented me. I miss my Dad looking at everyone with his cheesy smile. We didn't say i love you and junk, but we showed up. We ate, and before the cops came, we went home.

Now most of the people i want to see are long gone. I even miss Grandpa's dog Duncan, who he fed to death i believe. Duncan liked sweets. Before Duncan Grandpa had a big white dog that scared Mom whilst she was carrying me, and when i was born i had a dog paw birthmark in port wine on my knee. The french are superstitious, but sometimes they are right.

Aunt Barb and Uncle Jerry were second parents to me, and we didnt know what we had when we were all together. The last time i saw Aunt Barb i never dreamt it was the last time i would see her. So many regrets.
and blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Having my granddaughter's second birthday party at Forest Park..lol. First pavillion by the foot bridge. Will eat a charcoal hot dog for you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete