Saturday 25 February 2012

Galen R Richards

This is a fellow from my FB friends list. He posted something last night that I did not see till 5 am my time. He asked what charities were needed in our local area. I had no idea if he were serious or not, so i messaged him that it was 5 am here and I would have a think and get back to him.

I live in the Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland catchment and there are many charities with shops where they sell things to support their cause. I never yet saw a charity shop for the homeless. I remember about ten years ago, someone in America said to me, the churches have been donating food for years, don't they ever get enough donations? The person was well-meaning, but weary of a cause that seemed unending in scope. It was before 9/11 and the ensuing world wide recession, brought on by the greedy 1% of the world.

See i believe there always was, and always will be enough to go around. Jesus said there would be poor always, but poverty need not be destitution. So here is my proposal for the charity I would like to work at.  It would be a charity that has an open door for the homeless. They would not need to stay, but it would be a resource so that someone saw them each day. It could also be a liaison for services the county provides, and for their rehousing. It would
blessings essentially need a place to meet; showers, food, and clean dry clothes as it rains here more often than not. We would need a washer dryer, towels and toiletries supplies. All of us have extra soap and shampoo, etc, we got as Christmas gifts that we never intend to use, and just a cup of coffee, tea, or hot soup would thaw them out a bit, and give them a sense of community.
 Social care workers would be welcome too-to come and tell the latest news from the council regarding issues relevant to the homeless, and it would tell several at once, thus clearing the case load for a lot of people trying to get the word out to everyone.
We would also have a community bulletin board with news and events relevant to the people we would see. I expect in time every race, faith, creed and colour to either attend or volunteer. This work schedule though very relaxed could work as a reference for eventual employment, though many may not be suitable for that, at least in the beginning.
I bet a lot of you are laughing at me, an you may think organ donation is my only issue, but long after i get or don't get a kidney, there will still be homeless amongst us.
Ok , now it is your turn, what is your charity, and how would you help?
Blessings from Brenda















No comments:

Post a Comment