Thursday 23 February 2012

Caledonias been everything I ever had.

OK
I thought I was blogged out on the subject of Craig Grumoli. Then after I heard this song on you tube I decided I had been thinking incorrectly about this whole thing. I was so concerned with myself, family, and others, that I forgot this is all about Craig.
If you have never upped stakes and moved to a new place, not just a new town or area, but away from everyone you knew, then you can't fully understand the particular kind of homesickness you can get, even if the move was to your benefit. 
I was glad to hear that Craig had gotten home for a visit around the end of the holidays, because in my mind at least, that would solve all my problems to go home and see my mates again.
Like Caledonia for Craig, Camden's been everything I ever had. In reality though, most have left Camden or moved on, and so it is more the memories I cherish and hold onto. The reality is much different and what i think i know now is that Craig is home, forever, and will become part of the land, sea, and sky.
As long as anyone can remember him, he will remain alive. Some faiths even believe we live on after death in a happier place. I picture heaven with Craig preparing a pitch for the Rugby with Tom Blair, now fit and forever young. I see his big grin, thinking "I am so gonna waste you Jim Lewis" when he arrives. Some may go sooner, and some tarry here awhile, but eventually i see a party like we have every Saturday after a game, with all the regulars and about a thousand Ricci's and Dodd's, (by then Alfie's grand kids joining in). If heaven is not really like that, no wonder Jim doesn't believe. Heaven is supposed to be bliss. Bliss is what Craig deserves, and i will be able to walk up and hug him standing on my own two feet, and I won't have to ask him for a chair anymore.
Having said all that, if heaven has a back window, I see Craig slipping out once in awhile to check on the rest of us. Caledonias been everything he ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment