Wednesday 5 September 2012

A Study in Mortality

People named Jim have always had a special place in my heart, in fact, I married one. Monday I saw my friend Jim, from BOW in the renal unit. He also dialyzed in my group. I almost woke him up to say I would see him Wednesday, but he looked so serene asleep in the chair I did not have the heart. We have had many talks and I knew we would have many more so I toddled off down the hall to meet my ride home.

We are a group of ten, and it would be hard to find ten more different people. I liked Jim, because like me he had done a lot of interesting jobs and had seen a fair bit of the world. We talked also about the kids, and found a mutual interest in BMX bike racing. His pride in describing his son and his accomplishments was evident.  Apparently some time Monday Jim fell at home and was transported to the hospital. We lost Jim last night. He was only 50 years old, and although dialysis is supposed to make you feel much better, Jim did not receive the hoped-for benefits. I can still see his face so puffy and his eyes nearly swelled shut. That is not how i remember him though, i will remember him telling about his "wingding" they had at his house for new years. I will remember he was kind and caring. I will remember he loved his family to bits. I will not forget him, he is carved on my heart.

Blessings to his family, sorry for the loss. Gone way too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment