Sunday 2 October 2011

there is no joy in Mudville--

Yesterday we were sent home by England in a pretty convincing way.That was bad enough, but now one of my good friends from the Paisley Rugby Club is moving to Australia. Sadly he is leaving me here in the land of perpetual cold and rain. We had originally formed a band and were headed to NYC to make it rich, but that fell through as the guys started meeting and chatting up girls. So, Kevin is moving on without me. Just one in a long line of men that have moved out of my life.
His leaving party was a roaring success by all accounts, and I think quite a few people will have "the flu" this am when it is car boot sale time. We have to set up tents looking at the weather outside, but I bet Seve won't have the crowd he hoped for to help set up due to the partys demon rum supply.
I can remember in my glory days we would close a bar, go out for Breakfast (pig ass we called it) and then Billy and Barbie had to be at the Super Duper for 6. I think Bob Bellinger gave them Sunday shifts to punish them for being young. One can only speculate.
The Super Duper is long gone now, but it was a landmark for many years as was ACME, and Wilkes IGA. Main Street was so different the last time i went home, that almost no one owns the businesses they did when i left. The pharmacist has been there maybe 20 years now, but he was fairly new when i left, and he frankly gave better advice than the local Doctor, in my humble opinion.
Kellys had started a sports place, and my Mom bought me a bike there that was adjusted to me, instead of the other way around, so being quite short i appreciated that.Also i no longer needed to peddle backwards to brake, i had hand brakes on the steering. I thot i lived in the most amazing times, and remember that was before the internet.
I also miss Millimans fudge, though instead of a store they sold it at the pumpkin farm. To this day i have never had better fudge. I remember at CJ's my dad won an instant draw(scratch off) prize of $1000 . Al Garbarino and Mr Van Ornum started a restaurant in the side next to CJ's. Can you remember it? If you ever saw a menu there you saw my favorite meal. Gramma Festa made the best meatballs, and I was lucky enough to have them regularly. I remember Ellen Turk  was the cook there and she made the family a fortune. My favorite customer there was Phyllis Halliwell. She would come in with a group every week after choir practice. First of all, no plastic dish for her, then she would order a mega sundae and top it off with a diet coke. I would run to the kitchen and laugh and laugh. Perhaps thats why I made next to nothing in tips.
These little stories amuse me, and I guess they do you as well, as i have had over 4,500 hits so far.In total, not daily. I can remember the past almost more vividly than I can remember today. Part of it is my constant longing to go home, and as the people who live in Camden now tell me, it is totally different. My family has left for one.Bill is up north, and mom lives half the year in Florida. A lot of the Face Book accounts are from people whose names I do not know.Also a lot of my girlfriends married and I do not know their married names.
Times move on, and we must move with them.
Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment