Friday 1 June 2012

I have been distracted...

I have not blogged in a week, as I have been preparing for my brother and Mom to visit from NY. I am not gonna lie to you, the stress also caused a meltdown in my own personality unique to a kidney patient under stress. Then the drugs to counteract that lead to problems of the opposite nature,(let's be adults) that made me feel like i was walking around with a cork inside me. So with all of that and a house to clean top to bottom (no pun intended), I let my writing go.


With my Dad now gone, there is now just the three of us to remember all the years at 23 Preston St, Camden , NY. This is the first time the three of us have been together in over ten years. JIm has never been with all three of us at once before. We have told stories, sang and ate our way across renfrewshire so far. After along tiring flight we kinda laid low yesterday, but today I intend to show them my Scotland. My adopted country has so much to offer that i hardly know which direction to head first. Had there been time, i definitely would have shown the Skye, the place i want my ashes scattered. I want one day to become part of that landscape that was so beautiful and healing for me.


I could (if time permitted) show them the Paisley Abbey and spend a day there. Same with the Burrell Collection. If this was not the Jubilee weekend, I could take them to the Paisley Rugby Football Club and show them where we spend so much of our free time, (alas this weekend it is closed). I would show them the Weaver's Cottage, a place that shows the home life of a weaver, and the garden where he grew the plants to dye his wool,etc, incredible place.


See my dilemma, so many places, and they are only here till Tuesday am. SO it is more about what to leave out than what to show them, or who. One thing is for sure, I am 100% American as our my guests, but after ten years here with JIm, I am proud of my adopted homeland, its people and its ways. Scotland is about its people, no two alike, yet united in a love of country and family and life. There is an energy unique to itself, from the islands, highlands and lowlands. I hope i don't tire, as I am gonna pack their days with memories so that when i write, they will still smell the heather and broom growing free. I will teach them Glasgow rhymes with go and not cow, and show them lambs and heiland coo.


If you see us in our travels, please walk right up and say hello. We come from a nation of story-tellers,and we would love to hear yours.


Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment